Sunday, April 12, 2009

Old Growth Media and the Future of News:

Fascinating speech entitled Old Growth Media and the Future of News: (From StevenBerlinJohnson.com
http://tinyurl.com/bq2tu8 and then the update to the speech written recently:

An excerpt: today’s media is in fact much closer to a real-world ecosystem in the way it circulates information than it is like the old industrial, top-down models of mass media. It’s a much more diverse and interconnected world, a system of flows and feeds – completely different from an assembly line. That complexity is what makes it so interesting, of course, but also what makes it so hard to predict what it’s going to look like in five or ten years.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I think a lot of it makes sense although recently I've given some thought to the future of newspapers (as opposed to news from other sources). Perhaps this is because my husband and I just signed up to get the NY Times weekend addition and I'm not quite sure why since I read everything online. And, then I realized, my husband likes the feel of the newspaper in his hand, flipping pages as he drinks his coffee in the morning. He also reads a lot of a news online. So, why the paper? Well, maybe as Stephen writes it's because it seems the most credible, or maybe it's because it's actually nice to have some time away from the computer, nice to have something to read while eating breakfast, etc.. So, I started thinking about Kindle - you know, the book reading device by Amazon - and thought I can imagine a day where the "newspaper" is several pages of very thin computer screens in the form of Kindle-like contrasts. You subscribe to news stories of interest, or just select all, and each day or week or frequency of your choice, the news is downloaded to your paper. You can delete stories as you read them to make room for new incoming stories or save to your flash drive if you want to keep it. You can highlight and comment on each article to share with your wife or other household members or even email a link to an article to a friend. Hey, why not? This is my fantasy for the future of newspapers and I'm not sure it's even that far off! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh one more thing I wanted to mention. I especially like the part where he mentions "do what you do best, and link to the rest". I think this is a realistic and important point to remember especially as we think about the use of digital media in education. We need to encourage students to find their niche, their forte, and then remember to leverage all the resources out there so as not to reinvent the wheel. This is going to be critical for students to be successful in the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete